Friday, April 6, 2007

Hatfield-McCoy feud blamed on ‘rage’ disease

From MSNBC

A rare, genetic condition may have fueled violent tempers across generations. “The McCoy temperament is legendary. Whether or not we can blame it on genes, I don’t know,” said Ron McCoy, 43, of Durham, N.C., one of the organizers of the annual Hatfield-McCoy reunion. “There are a lot of underpinnings that are probably a more legitimate source of conflict.”
“There was a lot of inter-marrying” that could have played havoc with the gene pool, he conceded.
Another relative, Bo McCoy, of Waverly, Ohio, said he had never heard talk of the disease although he has been diagnosed with a different adrenal gland problem — Cushing’s syndrome. Even Reo Hatfield, who drafted the “truce” the two families famously signed in 2003 to officially end hostilities, doubted the role of the McCoys’ disease in the feud.
“I would be shocked” if doctors blamed it on illness, he said.

Jason's snark: "Now hold my jug o' corn-squeezins and hands me muh gun, sister-wife. We'll fix this here feud right up smart-like. May takes me a scatter shot at that doctorfied feller whilst I'm a-shootin."

No comments: